The Global Night Vision Device Market is expected to record a positive CAGR of ~9% during the forecast period (2022-2028) and reach revenues of about US$ 14 Bn by 2028, due to the rising spending by the governments on their military modernization, emerging technologies in the night vision devices, and the growing range of applications of these products in civil and defense-related security among other.
For more information, request a free sample
Key Growth Drivers
- The rising cases of terrorist attacks globally every year are making governments focus and spend more on their security services to protect their citizens from such attacks which is one of the major factors propelling the Night Vision Device market growth.
- According to Global Terrorism Index 2022 data, there were 5,226 terrorist attacks globally in 2021, an increase of 17% from 2020.
- The availability of a variety of night vision devices such as riflescopes, goggles, cameras, and binoculars & monocular are providing the potential customers to purchase a product of their own choices based on their requirements which are driving the market as the companies are trying to offer products to cater to the demands of the end users.
- One of the leading players in the market Thales has been able to sell more than 70,000 units of its Lucie night vision goggles since its launch in 1995.
- The high costs associated with night vision devices are one of the biggest challenges to the growth of the market.
- For example, the night vision multipurpose monocular device offered by one of the major players in the market, American technologies Network corp., can cost anywhere in the range of ~US$4,000 to ~US$5,000.
- The Covid-19 pandemic had a positive influence on the growth of the market for night vision devices as it helped authorities monitor the citizens and the situation in a better way.
- For example, the United States Defense Department used thermal imaging techniques to check the elevated body temperatures of a person entering its military facilities to detect Covid-19 while allowing a safe distance between the operator and the individual.
Key Trends by Market Segment
By Device Type: Goggles segment holds the largest share of the Global Night Vision Device Market in 2021.
- Goggles category dominates the night vision devices market by device type as they use image enhancement technology and are able to provide a good image by amplifying the available light.
- The rise in research and development investment and increase in demand from military and defense sectors are driving its demand.
- In 2021, the American armed forces started using night-vision goggles which have augmented reality features. The Enhanced Night Vision Goggle-Binocular or ENVG-B uses an augmented reality overlay and combines thermal images with low light.
- The Camera segment is expected to grow at the fastest rate during the forecast period mainly due to their low maintenance cost and ability to reduce glare from harsh light sources.
For more information, request a free sample
By Technology: The Image Intensifier technology segment dominated the market for Night Vision devices in 2021.
- This Image Intensifier technology is much cheaper than the other technologies such as thermal imaging which is a major factor in its growth.
- Furthermore, the integration of advanced technologies such as image intensifiers especially in border investigation applications for night vision devices is propelling the market growth.
By Application: The Surveillance segment held the largest market share in 2021.
- The Surveillance sector dominates the market due to the ever-increasing requirement of night vision security, enhanced border surveillance, and video surveillance to protect the ciites and citizens.
- During this covid pandemic period, video surveillance allows enforcement officers to keep an eye on the movement of people without causing any harm to themselves by keeping a safe distance.
- There has been a steady growth in security and surveillance budgets of governments. The US Homeland Security has budgeted US$ 86 Bn for border protection in 2023.
By Geography: North America accounts for the largest share among all Regions within the total Night Vision Device market in 2021.
- The security threats to countries like US and Canada coupled with the rising demand to bolster their internal securities 24/7 are driving the market growth of the North American market. The constant threat of cross-border human and drug trafficking for this region is also helping the market to grow.
- In September 2021, the US Army gave orders worth US$ 100 Mn to L3Harris Technologies to provide it the state-of-the-art night vision goggles. Till now the company has received orders worth US$442 Mn to deliver the night vision goggles and has provided more than 6,000 such goggles to the US Army.
- In April 2022, Americal Technology Network Corp. got approval from the U.S. government and delivered night vision devices to the Ukrainian army for its ongoing war with Russia.
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecasted period 2022-2028, owing to the government’s investments in location-based devices, public transport systems, and the rising military and defense budgets.
For more information, request a free sample
The Global Night Vision Device market is highly competitive with ~200 players which include globally diversified players, regional players as well as a large number of country-niche players each with their niche product ranges. The Night Vision Device market’s growth is heavily reliant on the adoption of new technologies and advancements in the types of devices being made available to the end users.
Country-Niche players constitute majority of the competitors, while regional players hold a share of ~35% in terms of the number of competitors. Some of the major players in the market include L3 Technologies Inc., American Technologies Network Corp., BAE Systems PLC, Thales Group SA, SATIR, Elbit Systems Ltd., Teledyne FLIR LLC, Collins Aerospace, Meopta, Excelitas Technologies Corp., and Safran among others.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players and Organizations
- In April 2021, Elbit Systems got orders to provide Squad Binocular Night Vision Goggles to the U.S. Marine Corps for a price of US$ 41 Mn. This is part of a US$ 249 Mn deal between the company and the military that was signed in 2019.
- In October 2021, BAE Systems launched ultra low-light hawk eye image sensors which enable night vision even when there is an overcast starlight condition. Apart from the hawkeye, the company also launched a compact multichip camera module (MCM) that simplifies camera integration.
- In June 2020, Collins Aerospace Systems helped the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps in moving from an analog night vision systems to digital night vision systems. This helps the pilot to have better digital night vision for the pilot in low light conditions.
- In July 2020, two NATO countries opted for Safran’s wide-field view night vision goggles due to their reliability and robustness. Apart from these, the goggles also have the latest version of image intensifier tubes and defense optronics.
- In January 2022, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) as part of its Enhanced Night Vision in Eyeglass Form (ENVision) program tied up with 10 research teams representing industry players and universities. All these organizations will work in collaboration with the DARPA to develop night vision goggles that will be of comparable size and weight to regular eyeglasses.
The global night vision device market is forecasted to continue its stable growth since 2017. One of the major trends driving market expansion is the spiraling demand for lightweight products as well as the consumers having a wide range of products to choose from. Though the market is highly competitive with ~200 participants, few global players control the dominant share and regional players also hold a significant share.
Note: This is an upcoming/planned report, so the figures quoted here for a market size estimate, forecast, growth, segment share, and competitive landscape are based on initial findings and might vary slightly in the actual report. Also, any required customizations can be covered to the best feasible extent for Pre-booking clients and report delivered within maximum of 2 working weeks.
Ken Research has recently published report titled, Global Night Vision Device Market Size, Segments, Outlook, and Revenue Forecast 2022-2028 that segmented by Device Type, Technology, Application, and End-User. In addition, the report also covers the market size for each of the four regions’ night vision device markets. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is USD billion.
- Monocular & Binoculars
- Thermal Imaging
- Image Intensifier
- Infrared Illumination
- Military & Defense
- Wildlife Spotting & Conservation
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of Europe)
- Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, Australia, South Korea, Rest of Asia Pacific)
- LAMEA (Latin America, Middle East and Africa)