Microgreens are small and delicate vegetables that are harvested when they form two cotyledons, a cotyledon is the first leaf of the plant to emerge from the seed after germination. It offers numerous health benefits as they are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals which helps in reducing the risk of several diseases such as heart disease, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and cancer. Microgreens are widely used for improving the flavor of various cuisines such as salads, soups, flatbreads, pizzas, juices, and smoothies. It can be harvested using different farming techniques such as indoor farming, vertical farming, commercial greenhouses, and more, and are often used for residential and commercial purposes.
According to Ken Research Analysis, the Global Microgreens Market was valued at ~US$ 1 billion in 2017. It is estimated to be ~US$ 1.5 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach a market size of ~US$ 2.5 billion by 2028 growing with a CAGR of ~9% during 2022 to 2028. Some of the major factors that are likely to propel the growth of the market includes rise in health awareness, consumer spending, small-scale farming, and wide usage in restaurants and cosmetics industry.
The increasing public awareness of health issues and the use of indoor farming techniques is likely to propel the growth of the global microgreens market.
- Microgreens are highly rich in vitamins, fibers, and minerals, many people are now adopting microgreens in their regular diet to avoid severe problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gastrointestinal distress, and more.
- Furthermore, microgreens such as broccoli, chicory, and lettuce contain high levels of vitamin E, vitamin A, and antioxidants, which will eventually help the consumer from major diseases like cancer and heart problems.
High initial cost, lack of distribution channels, and availability of fertile soil for microgreens production are some of the major challenges hindering the growth of the global microgreens market.
Request For Free Sample Report @https://www.kenresearch.com/sample-report.php?Frmdetails=NTk2MTA4
- The initial cost for microgreen farming is higher than any other farming as the soil and seeds are required to change for every new harvest. Price fluctuation in microgreen cultivation depends on type of microgreens, size of garden, soil vs. hydroponics, single item purchase vs kits, and cost of electricity and water.
- The soil sometimes lacks major nutrients like nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus which affects the final product, thus leading to huge losses to the farmer.
The COVID-19 pandemic slowed the growth of the global microgreens market, owing to the sudden shutdown of farming activities as well as disruption in the distribution channels such as retail stores, supermarkets, and hypermarkets worldwide. However, with the ease in lockdowns and the adoption of microgreens as healthy diet options are providing new growth opportunities for the global microgreens market
Scope of the Report
The global microgreens market is segmented by type, farming method, distribution channel, and end-user. In addition, the report also covers market size and forecasts for the four major regions for global microgreens markets. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is US$ billion.
|By Farming Method||Indoor Vertical FarmingCommercial GreenhousesOthers|
|By Distribution Channel||Supermarkets & HypermarketsRetail StoresOthers|
|By Region||North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico)Europe (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, UK, and Rest of Europe)Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, and Rest of Asia Pacific)LAMEA (Latin America, Middle East, and Africa)|
|Key Players||AeroFarmsGood Leaf FarmsFresh OriginsGotham GreensMadar Farms2BFreshFarmbox GreensLiving Earth FarmMetro MicrogreensChef’s Garden|
Key Trends by Market Segment
By Type: The broccoli segment by type held the largest market share in 2021 in the global microgreens market.
- The growth is primarily due to the major health benefits associated with broccoli microgreens such as preventing the risks of cancer and heart diseases as well as improving digestion of the consumers.
- Furthermore, broccoli microgreens are more adopted by farmers as they are easy to grow and taste less bitter than their mature counterparts, which led to a high adoption rate among consumers over other microgreens.
By Farming Method: The indoor vertical farming method held the largest market share in 2021 in the global microgreens market.
- The indoor vertical farming method is technique in which plants are cultivated in vertical stacked layers and are being monitored indoor with suitable temperature, lighting, irrigation and air circulation. One of the major advantages of indoor vertical farming is that it can produce more corps in less space as the production rate is significantly high compared to traditional farming.
- Furthermore, as microgreens are easy to harvest and take less time in indoor farming rather than outdoor farming, thus many consumers are now focusing on growing microgreens in their indoor farms.
Request For Free Sample Report @https://www.kenresearch.com/sample-report.php?Frmdetails=NTk2MTA4
By Distribution Channel: The retail store segment accounted for the largest market share in the distribution channel segment in 2021 for the global microgreens market.
- The growth is primarily due to the easy accessibility of retail stores all around the globe. Microgreens are considered premium products thus many retail stores are now offering microgreens in their product lists.
- The consumption of microgreens increased considerably post COVID-19 owing to the rise in wellness focused diet among consumers. Microgreens offer multiple health benefits such as low risk of heart dieses and cancer prevention due to high presence of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibers.
By End-User: The commercial segment dominated the global microgreens market in 2021, owing to the adoption of microgreens in various commercial industries.
- The growth is primarily due to the adoption of microgreens in food services, cosmetic industry, and herbal medicines.
- Microgreens are rich in vitamins, fiber, minerals, and have a strong aroma, thus many restaurants are now using them as garnishing agents in pizzas, soups and pasta.
By Geography: North Americaaccounted for the largest market share among all regions within the total Global Microgreens Market in 2021.
- The growth is primarily due to the new technological development for indoor vertical farming for various vegetables and microgreens farming.
- USA is the major market for microgreens in North America owing to the indoor vertical farming capabilities as it offers massive scale productivity.
- As the microgreens market is untapped and holds significant potential many organic vegetable farmers are now taking advantage of the considerably moderate competition in the microgreens market.
The global microgreens market is significantly competitive with ~200 players, which include globally diversified players, regional players as well as a large number of country-niche players each with their niche in Microgreens organic production. Large global players constitute ~10% of competitors, while country-niche players represent ~60% of competitors. Some of the major players in the market include AeroFarms, Good Leaf Farms, Fresh Origins, Gotham Greens, Madar Farms, 2BFresh, Farmbox Greens, Living Earth Farm, Metro Microgreens, Chef’s Garden, and among others.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players
- In October 2021, AeroFarms expanded its distribution network in the Northeast and New England, including New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, with the launch of more than 350 Stop & Shop stores.
- In January 2021, GoodLeaf Farms developed a new 74,000-square-foot indoor vertical farm in Calgary’s industrial park in Canada. The farm will help to create more than 70 skilled and unskilled job opportunities in the city as well as act as the center point for partnerships with post-secondary schools in Canada west.
The Global Microgreens Market is forecasted to grow significantly with a CAGR of ~9% during the forecast period primarily driven by Increasing public awareness of health issues and the use of indoor farming techniques. Though the market is highly competitive with ~ 200 participants, few global players control the dominant share and country-niche players hold a significant share. North Americaaccounted for the largest market share among all regions within the total global microgreens market in 2021.
Note:This is an On-Demand/Planned report, so the figures quoted here for a market size estimate, forecast, growth, segment share, and competitive landscape are based on initial findings and might vary slightly in the actual report. Also, any required customizations can be covered to the best feasible extent for Pre-booking clients, and the report delivered within a maximum of two working weeks.
Key Topics Covered in the Report
- Snapshot of Global Microgreens Market
- Industry Value Chain and Ecosystem Analysis
- Market size and Segmentation of the Global Microgreens Market
- Historic Growth of the Overall Global Microgreens Market and Segments
- Competition Scenario of the Market and Key Developments of Competitors
- Porter’s 5 Forces Analysis of the Global Microgreens Industry
- Overview, Product Offerings, and Strategic Developments of Key Competitors
- COVID-19 Impact on the Overall Global Microgreens Market
- Future Market Forecast and Growth Rates of the Total Global Microgreens Market and by Segments
- Market Size of Farming Method/End-user Segments with Historical CAGR and Future Forecasts
- Analysis of the Global Microgreens Market
- Major Production/Supply and Consumption/Demand Hubs within Each Major Country
- Major Country-wise Historic and Future Market Growth Rates of the Total Market and Segments
- Overview of Notable Emerging Competitor Companies within Each Region
Key Players Mentioned in the Report
- Good Leaf Farms
- Fresh Origins
- Gotham Greens
- Madar Farms
- Farmbox Greens
- Living Earth Farm
- Metro Microgreens
- Chef’s Garden
Notable Emerging Companies Mentioned in the Report
- UGF Farming
- Living Food Company
Key Target Audience – Organizations and Entities Who Can Benefit by Subscribing This Report
- Microgreens Producers
- Microgreens Farm Owners
- Microgreens Industry Association
- Microgreens Marketing & Distribution Companies
- Microgreens Products Manufacturers
- Government Ministries and Departments of Agriculture
- Government Ministries and Departments of Food
- Government Ministries of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution
- Venture Capitalists Targeting the Microgreens Industry
- Organic Farming Companies
- Organic Farming Cooperative Societies
- Farming Research Institutes
Time Period Captured in the Report
- Historical Period: 2017-2021
- Forecast Period: 2022E-2028F
For More Information on the Research Report, refer to below links: –