The report titled “Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Outlook to 2022 – Composite Herbal Dietary Ingredients, Ginseng, Garlic and Ginkgo Biloba Based Herbal Supplements will Drive the Growth” provides a comprehensive analysis of the nutraceuticals market in Philippines. The report covers the overall market size in terms of revenue, segmentations on the basis of product category and channels of distribution for vitamins & dietary supplements, functional beverages and functional foods, trends and developments, issues and challenges, regulatory landscape in Philippines, entry barriers and pre-requisites to enter the market, competitive scenario and company profiles. The report concludes with market projection for future market described above and analyst recommendations highlighting the major opportunities and cautions for the nutraceuticals market.
Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Overview and Size
The nutraceuticals market of Philippines is presently in its early growth stage due to the dependence on traditional pharmaceutical medicine system by growing middle class population. The middle class consumers accounted for majority of the Filipino population. The nutraceuticals market within the Philippines showcased a robust year-on-year progress in terms of revenues during the review period of 2012-2017.
Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Segmentation: Functional beverages segment within the Philippines nutraceuticals market established itself as the market leader in 2017. Increasing awareness regarding health and fitness among Filipino consumers has boosted the demand for functional beverages in the Philippines. The functional foods segment witnessed an elevated consumption of processed food in the country, allowing Filipino users to purchase premium health products thereby driving the demand for functional foods across the region. Lastly, vitamins and dietary supplements segment captured the remaining market share in the year 2017. Filipino consumers’ desire to improve mental and physical health has led to increased consumption of vitamin, skin nourishing and beauty supplements in the country.
Vitamins and Dietary supplements: Vitamins segment within the Philippines V&D supplements market clearly established itself as the market leader in the year 2017. The growth of vitamins can be majorly attributed to the consumer’s desire to maintain and improve their health in order to cope up with daily stress, long queues in transportation and traffic, lack of nutritional diet and daily life problems. Dietary supplements segment was observed to follow with a lesser revenue share owing to the increasing ability of consumers to include several nutritional products in their regular diets. Pediatric vitamins and dietary supplements grabbed third position in the country’s V&D supplements market in the year 2017. Lastly, tonics were observed to capture the remaining minimal revenue share in the Philippines vitamins and dietary supplements market.
Combination of herbal / traditional dietary ingredients clearly established itself as market leader with a massive revenue share in Philippines herbal dietary supplements market in 2017. Multi-herb formula usually comprise of numerous herbs in a one single formula, thereby providing benefits to the overall body. Ginseng, garlic, ginkgo biloba and other herbal dietary supplements collectively captured the remaining revenue share in the Philippines herbal dietary supplements market in 2017.
Functional Beverages: Functional Beverages segment in the Philippines grew at a CAGR of 4.5% during the period 2012-2017. The major players in this segment include Coca Cola, Mondelez International, PepsiCo, Del Monte and others. Among functional beverages, the leading category was carbonated and energy drinks in the year 2017. An increase in the price of high-sugar has shifted the market demand from sweetened carbonated beverages to energy drinks. The emergence of domestic companies like Asia Brewery has led to significant growth of this segment. Powder concentrates and hot drinks held the second highest revenue share of in 2017. They remained not as popular in comparison with ready-to-drink products as convenience continues to be a prime area of for Filipino customers. Fruit and vegetable juices followed with the next highest revenue share as they offer healthier alternatives to carbonated beverages. Sports drinks and bottled water collectively accounted for the least revenue share in the market as compared to above mentioned functional beverages.
Functional Foods: Functional Foods dominated the Philippines nutraceuticals market as revenue generated during the period 2012-2017 grew at a CAGR of 6.3%. Majority of the revenue share in this segment was held by baby food products in the year 2017. In spite of growing awareness among new Filipino mothers to feed mother’s milk to their children, the working female population has no choice but to rely on baby food products leading to such a high market share. The second highest revenue share was held by dairy based functional foods in Philippines. The soaring domestic demand for fermented milk drinks and yogurts in the country helped this category to acquire such a high market share. The least revenue share was held by confectionary, sweet biscuits and breakfast cereals in the year 2017.
Philippines Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Market: Competition within the Philippines vitamins and dietary supplements market was witnessed to be moderately fragmented with top 4 players capturing majority of the market share by revenue, namely United Laboratories Inc, USANA Health Sciences Inc, Pfizer Inc and Tynor Drug House Inc in the year 2017. One of the biggest influences of the market is the customers’ personal disposable income and their allotted budgets for vitamins and dietary supplements.
Philippines Functional Beverages Market: Increased penetration of foreign companies made the country’s functional beverages market fragmented. In addition to that, domestic firms such as Asia Brewery Inc. along with its Cobra brand was observed to gain popularity in the energy drinks segment thereby giving tough competition to its international rivals operating within Philippines.
Philippines Functional Foods Market: Competition within the Philippines functional foods market was noted as fragmented in nature owing to the presence of international and domestic local manufacturers in this segment. Over the years, the competition has increased as the companies are focusing towards improving the quality of their products. Some of the major players operating within the country’s functional foods market include Nestle, Reckitt Benckiser Group, Yakult Honsha Co Ltd, San Miguel Corp and others who sell functional foods belonging to various segments such as baby food, dairy, confectionery items, breakfast cereal, sweet biscuits, snack bars and fruit snacks and others.
Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Future Outlook
Philippines nutraceuticals market revenues are further expected to increase at a stable CAGR during the forecasted period 2017-2022E. The expected growth and popularity of this industry can be directly linked along with consumers’ rising inclination towards health and wellness. Distribution Channels available for Nutraceutical Companies in the Philippines will play a vital role in their future growth. Apart from daily/regular retail store formats, rising number of players have been adopting direct selling distribution model. In the forecast period, high growth opportunities are likely to be perceived in functional food ingredients including lutein, lycopene, omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics; soy protein nutrients; essential minerals such as calcium and magnesium; herbal extracts including garlic, green tea and non-herbal extracts including chondroitin, glucosamine and coenzyme Q10 in the Philippines.
Key Segments Covered
- Vitamins and Dietary Supplements:
- By Type (Vitamins, Dietary Supplements, Paediatric Vitamins and Dietary Supplements and Tonics)
- By Type of Distribution Channel (Drugstores / Parapharmacies, Direct Selling and Internet Selling, Other Healthcare Specialist Retailers, Supermarkets and Hypermarkets)
- By Type of Fish Oils/Omega Fatty Acids (Plant Based Oils, Cod Liver Oil and Other Marine Based Oils)
- By Type of Vitamins (Multivitamins and Other Vitamins)
- By Positioning of Multivitamins (Teenagers, Men, Women, Pregnancy, Elderly and Others)
- Functional Beverages:
- By Product Category (Carbonates and Energy Drinks, Concentrates and Hot Drinks, Fruit/Vegetable Juices, Sports Drinks and Others and Bottled Water)
- By Channel of Distribution (Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Independent Small Grocers, Convenience Stores, Forecourt Retailers and Other Grocery Retailers)
- Functional Foods:
- By Sale of Functional Foods (Baby Food, Dairy, Confectionery, Sweet Biscuits, Snack Bars and Fruit Snacks; and Breakfast Cereals),
- By Channel of Distribution (Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Independent Small Grocers, Non Grocery Specialists, Convenience Stores, Direct Selling, Forecourt Retailers and Other Grocery Retailers)
Key Target Audience
- Nutraceuticals Manufacturers
- Nutraceuticals Distributors
- Government Agencies
- Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Companies
- Functional Foods Companies
- Functional Beverages Companies
Time Period Captured in the Report:
- Historical Period: 2012- 2017
- Forecast Period: 2018- 2022
- Vitamins and Dietary Supplements:
- United Laboratories Inc.
- USANA Health Sciences Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- DMI Medical Supply Co. Inc.
- Tynor Drug House Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories Inc.
- Pascual Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Natrapharm Inc.
- ATC Health Care
- Hovid Berhad Philippines
- Daewoong Pharma
- Others (Menarini, Trianon Inc., Merck Inc. and Hi Eisai Pharm)
- Functional Beverages:
- Coca Cola Co.
- Mondelez International Inc.
- PepsiCo Inc.
- Del Monte Pacific Ltd.
- Asia Brewery Inc.
- Zest-O Corporation
- Functional Foods:
- Nestle SA
- Reckitt Benckiser
- Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd.
- San Miguel Corporation
- JG Summit Holdings Inc.
- Fonterra Co-operative Group Ltd.
- Mondelez International Inc.
Key Topics Covered in the Report
- Executive Summary
- Research Methodology
- Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Overview and Genesis
- Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Size
- Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Segmentation
- Philippines Vitamins & Dietary Supplements Market
- Philippines Functional Beverages Market
- Philippines Functional Foods Market
- Trends and Developments in Philippines Nutraceuticals Market
- Issues and Challenges in Philippines Nutraceuticals Market
- Regulatory Landscape in Philippines Nutraceuticals Market
- Entry Barriers and Pre-Requisites to Enter in Philippines Nutraceuticals Market
- Philippines Nutraceuticals Market Future Outlook and Projections, 2017-2022E
- Analyst Recommendations
To know more, click on the link below:
Related Reports :
Ankur Gupta, Head Marketing & Communications