South Africa Mobile Value Added Services (MVAS) Market Outlook to 2018 – Driven by Rising Mobile Internet Penetration’ presents a comprehensive analysis of the industry aspects including market size of mobile value added services such as messaging services, entertainment (music, games, TV/videos, Wallpapers, Themes and others), network services and other mobile services in South Africa. The report also entails the market share analysis and company profiles of major players operating in the mobile VAS market of South Africa. The future analysis, trends and developments, government regulations and segmentation by type of services have also been discussed in the industry research report.
The mobile-VAS market in South Africa has been dominated mainly by the messaging services and entertainment service with a contribution of ~% and ~% respectively in 2013. The demand for entertainment services, especially games and local music content has driven the entertainment services market during 2008-2013. Additionally, the introduction of advanced technology such as 3G and 4G which support applications such as video calls and conference and location-based services in the country have contributed significantly to the growth of mobile-VAS services in South Africa. The number of 3G subscribers in Sub Saharan Africa has grown at a substantial CAGR of 58.5% during 2008-2013.
In the past few years, this industry has witnessed a number of new services and products that have emerged significantly in the market such as the m-banking and utility M-VAS products which includes m-agriculture, m-health and m-education. Such services have provided a resourceful access to essential information to the end users. The m-commerce market in the country has evolved significantly in South Africa by providing banking facilities to the consumers and to the unbanked people residing in the rural areas. Services such as balance inquiries, online transactions, payments and bill payments are offered by the m-commerce services to the mobile users of South Africa.
The rising mobile phone and network penetration is one of the key drivers affecting the growth of M-VAS market in the country. The total mobile penetration reached 132.0% in 2013 and the number of internet users in South Africa reached ~ million in 2013, growing from 4.6 million in 2008. The increasing mobile penetration and the rising demand for entertainment and information services by the consumers have contributed considerably to the growing market of M-VAS services in South Africa.
The mobile-VAS market in South Africa is poised to expand in the next several years on account of increasing mobile internet users in the country. The mobile-VAS market is expected to register a CAGR of 11.2% during 2013-2018, growing from USD ~ million in 2013 to USD ~ million in 2018. The messaging services market will continue to dominate the mobile-VAS market in South Africa during 2013-2017, growing at a CAGR of 7.7%. The launch of 3G and Long term evolution (LTE) technology has offered high speed mobile broadband access to the users which have led to an increased use of services such as mobile TV and videos and mobile gaming. The increasing penetration of 3G and LTE services in the country is anticipated to affect the growth of the mobile entertainment services in the near future.
Key Topics Covered in the Report:
- The market size of South Africa Mobile-VAS market in terms of value
- South Africa Mobile-VAS market segmentation by type of services (messaging services, entertainment services, network services and others)
- South Africa mobile messaging market segmentation by person to person (P2P), person to application (P2A) and application to person (A2P)
- Market size of South Africa mobile messaging services market
- Market size of South Africa mobile entertainment services market
- Market size of South Africa mobile network services market
- Market size of South Africa other mobile services market (m-commerce, m-health, m-education and m-agriculture)
- Trends and Developments and Government regulations in the mobile-VAS market of South Africa
- Market share of major players in South Africa M-VAS market
- Company profiles of the major players operating in the mobile-VAS market of South Africa
- Competitive landscape of South Africa mobile-VAS market
- Future projections and macro economic factors of South Africa M-VAS market